THE CENTRE DECORATION developed and changed as the table evolved. You can see in the top three pictures that I changed my mind and added more detail as I went along. It started as a simple centre piece, relying solely on the candleabra to create effect. As the table came closer to being finished I realised that it would need quite a bit more. Although, the candleabra is, in itself quiet decorative I tried hanging some beads over it. (I was trying to create something a bit whimsical.) However, it still wasn't enough. Throwing a paua shell at the table didn't do the trick, so I bought some VERY glittery, faux flowers, (very christmasy) and threw them around the bottom. Not bad I thought, not bad at all, but, still missing something. It was then that I decided to go all out and create a much bigger centre piece. By buying more flowers from the 2 dollar shop and several bags of marbles, some more candles and I came up with the decoration you can see in the top and bottom pictures. The three photo's do show just how a table can evolve from an original idea though. The centre layout is finished with two tall, turquoise, votive lamps. laid towards each end of the table.
THE LINENS are made up of a queen sheet in a pettern which I think you will agree is very attractive and very unusual. I love the different tones and colours in the one cloth. It made it very easy to come up with colours to match in the centre decoration. Luckily I had already found some napkins of the right colour previously. They co-ordinated perfectly with one of the tones in the pattern (right royal result). The runner was made with a long remnant I found, which, was just a few dollars. I could have made some more napkins if I had needed to.
THE NAPKIN RINGS were a labour of love. They enabled me to use my create urges in a different way. You see, putting together tables is creative, but I am buying things already in existence and using them as they are. Dont get me wrong I love doing it, but, I can really start to create when I make something from scrap. In the picture above it is possible to see the detail that went into making these rings. Firstly, I took some more very nasty, plastic rings and covered them with Rafia. The colour matched the cloth perfectly. Then I tied a bow in dark green wrapping ribbon to add a little more detail (still not enough in my book). So there was nothing for it but to pop down to the 2 dollar shop again, where I bought a couple of necklace and earing sets which, consisted of tiny bits of paua shell and little silver charms. When I got home I took them apart and re-strung them in much smaller groups, then tied them around another bow which had been made from the original turquise rafia. All the ribbons had been bought from op-shops. (dirt cheap). Should I say "dirt cheap?" probably not! It does make it sound tacky. Never mind, I am very pleased with the result.
THE CROCKERY is really nice with a scalloped detail around the edges. It was a set that I found in several visits to the op-shops. I have enough for 8 settings. It doesn't include dessert bowls as I havent enough. In the mean time I will just have to serve dessert on the lunch plates. I will continue to look for some more bowls.
THE GLASSES were a lucky find, I just happened to see them one day long before I had decided on this colour scheme, it was a good purchase. The only trouble I have, is that were only 5 of them. Ok if you have four for dinner, but not so good if you are entertaining more. Many months later I came across the glasses you can see on the end places. They consist of clear glass bowls with turquoise stems. They actually co-ordinate better in real life than they appear in the picture.
In the picture below it is possible to see the centre detail in close up. I hope you will agree the whole image is not bad considering it is made completely from purchases made at op-shops etc.. So there it is THE TURQUOISE TABLE, I really hope you like this one as much as I do. Onwards and upwards, another one is on its way.......